Tuesday, October 9, 2012

A Revelation

I think this class has changed me. Not in some metaphysical, life-altering way. Well, maybe life-altering. But it's definitely changed the way I look at things.

I used to be a purist. I used to believe nothing is as good as the original, that anyone championing an interpretation or remake was ignorant and shallow-minded.

I used to be afraid of the internet. Or callous towards the idea of tweeting every thought or instagramming every meal. Social media was for the self-absorbed and it had no real value. I used it only in was I thought above the norm--such as reaching my brothers across seas.

I used to think the internet was damning good writing, well-crafted thought, and all originality. It was the place where cat videos ruled and comments were made up of "UR" and "LOL."

I used to think digital culture was a sign of the end of the world, where we would end up so plugged in, all those cheesy movies like Surrogates would be right.  

Also, I used to hate google plus. A lot.

I used to be pretty close-minded about the whole thing. As did family, friends, most acquaintances. Then I was in this class and I found myself first playing the devils advocate just for kicks. Whenever my dad went off about how stupid twitter was, I would smugly say, "Actually, in my digital culture class..." And when my mom would complain that posting everything to FB would come back to haunt you, I would laugh and say "This is just the age we live in, mom."

I had a long conversation with my little sister this weekend. We were coming home from conference (where my experience had definitely been heightened by my tuning in to the twitter feed) and I asked her what she thought of remixes and transmedia. She was getting mad at people who liked She's the Man without knowing it was based on Shakespeare's Twelfth Night.

It was interesting...uh, arguing with her about the different value the modern age has given things. I found myself standing up for this digital culture in ways I hadn't really anticipated me ever caring about.  Sarah Talley, in my class, got me addicted to The Lizzie Bennet Diaries on youtube. My professor has made me more aware of twitter and google plus--where, before, I was just uselessly browsing celebrity fodder, now I can find important information and interesting discussions. People are active on the web, not because they're stupid or antisocial, but because it allows for instant and valid conversations--between complete strangers. Sure, some people are really stupid online and it can definitely be manipulated in dangerous ways. But I am so grateful for it.

And it was arguing with my little sister about how she couldn't hate on something retelling a story she loved for a different audience (and isn't Twelfth Night just a remix, too?) that I realized something.


I have changed. Halle-freakin-lujah. 

1 comment: