Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Social Proof

For our magazine, we had a little info session last night. I dragged some roommates and siblings to it just for some extra bodies. But I was pleased to see that we had two totally random walk-ins who had just heard about it somewhere and were excited enough to come check it out. Awesome. But it turned out to be a great little party with some great advice. I think our group definitely had a clearer understanding of what was needed to make the website more accessible and even approachable to get the kind of response we want.

What a relief.

But, really, there's something solid now, and a better idea of what can happen and why. A lot of problems were addressed and simultaneously solved, so yay for outside advice. We can get so close-minded in our little groups. We know what we want and expect and so we see it already there even if it's not. This "social proof" experiment allowed for us to take a step back and truly examine what our audience--those that know nothing about us to begin with--truly thought.

So, yeah, I'm a big fan of social proof now. I can be a little hoighty-toighty when it comes to my work, maybe a little prideful and self-confident. But this reminded me that there's something to be gained from listening to the crowd.

Even if it is only six people deep.

No comments:

Post a Comment